Sewing Project: Fellowship Cloak

PROJECT: A cloak similar to the ones worn by the fellowship of the ring in the Lord of the Rings movies

TIME: 1 day

MATERIALS: gray-green fabric, ornate closure, notions

Kanani in LOTR Cloak

OK, who swapped the “one ring” with a whistle…

My husband is the biggest Tolkien fan I know. He’s read Lord of the RingsThe HobbitThe Silmarillion, watched the movies with me several times (extended version only, yo), and played the heck out of Lord of the Rings Risk. I already liked Lord of the Rings a lot before I met him, but I think his absolute love of the series helped make me into a bigger fan.

So, like any self-respecting Lord of the Rings fan who also loves American Girl dolls and the challenge of learning how to sew fun things for them, I decided it was high time I tried making a fellowship cloak for my dolls!

I chose a grayish green fabric that has a suede-like texture on one side and a darker satin on the other. The real cloaks worn in the movies are actually made of a gray wool, but they always appear a little greenish to me. The closure I chose is actually the same one I used for my human-sized fellowship cloak (My mom made one as a present for my husband a few years ago and I decided I wanted one, too. Mine still needs a leaf brooch though).

My husband's cloak

My husband’s cloak

  My cloak
  My cloak

I used this great tutorial by MyFroggyStuff to learn how to make a cloak. Mine turned out a little big, but that’s just because I made hems smaller than I originally measured for.

Cloak in progress

Gathering is a pain…

One of the hardest parts of this project was making the gathered fabric spread evenly as I lined up the hood edge to the cape edge. My mom helped me with this part when I made my cape and it seemed to take her a minute! It took me a few tries to get everything lined up correctly, but I’m really happy with how I did! Much, much better than when I gathered the skirt on Samantha’s Party Dress

Cape back

The back

All in all, I’m pretty happy with how this cloak turned out. It was my first time sewing something without a paper pattern, too! I might eventually try to make the top a bit smaller, but Kanani’s hair can fill in some of the extra space for now.

JenniferSig

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s